Interested in becoming a volunteer? The first step is to attend one of our orientations! To sign up for an orientation, click here.
For additional questions/concerns or to sign up for community service, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator at Riley.Bailey@yvas.org or 406-294-1135.
All volunteers at Yellowstone Valley Animal Shelter must be 10 years of age or older. No exceptions to this policy will be made. Any persons between the ages of 10-15 years whom wish to volunteer must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times, including orientations and training. Volunteer opportunities/tasks may be limited due to safety for persons between the ages of 10-15 years old. Persons between the ages of 16 and 17 years old may volunteer on their own with parental/guardian consent. Reliable transportation to the shelter is a must.
What will we be asking of you as a volunteer?
- Volunteering is a serious commitment. We cannot run the shelter without you; your volunteer schedule is just as important as any of our staff members.
- Please have the time and availability to commit to volunteering for at least six months.
- Attend required training sessions for your interests/volunteer role(s)
- Support our philosophies and policies inside and outside the shelter
- Be honest and realistic with us and with yourself concerning your needs, wishes and availability.
- Have fun!!!
Community service & volunteering as a group for school, work or community organization
YVAS accepts a limited number of community service individuals. If you are assigned to complete community service at the shelter, it is YOUR responsibility to contact our Volunteer Coordinator to set up your service. Community service individuals help staff with the basic upkeep of the shelter.
We love having groups come to the shelter to do various projects! In the past, volunteer groups have helped us paint dog shades, put together animal goodie bags, made cat toys, stuffed dog Kongs, and more! We can also arrange a tour, dog talk and/or cat talk. Groups may be limited. All groups wishing to volunteer MUST schedule a day and time in advance. To schedule a group day at the shelter please contact our Volunteer Coordinator.